Thursday 6 February 2014

Christmas/January Book Haul



This post is very very late as it is already into February! I've had a lot going on, so as I've finally got some head space I would go back to blogging!
For Christmas I received quite a few books and gift vouchers so these are all my lovely purchases!

Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith

After going through my friend's Wreck This Journal and watching countless YouTube videos, I decided to put this on my list to see what the fuss was about. After flipping through several times, I absolutely love the idea, however I am not one to even crack the spine on a book and would rather keep it in mint condition! So it has been a personal uphill battle to tear pages out but I'll get over it just this once! 
I'm quite excited to do the whole book and see the final result!

Poetry First Aid Kit by Abbie Headon

As a lover of poetry, my mum was spot on with this! It's such a beautiful book and I keep it in my bag for a little poetry fix through out the day. Poetry First Aid Kit is a collection of poems chosen by Abbie Headon. They are put into catagories depending on the situation you're in. For example some of the categories are: 

  • Everyday Life
  • Student Days
  • Romance
  • Love's Challenges
  • Dealing with People
  • Work and Money
there quite a few more along the same lines! Each category has a little poem for a particular situation within the topic. I love reading it on the bus or just at home. Definitely worth buying!

Quiet  by Susan Cain


At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled “quiet,” it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society–from van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.
Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Taking the reader on a journey from Dale Carnegie’s birthplace to Harvard Business School, from a Tony Robbins seminar to an evangelical megachurch, Susan Cain charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal in the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects. She talks to Asian-American students who feel alienated from the brash, backslapping atmosphere of American schools. She questions the dominant values of American business culture, where forced collaboration can stand in the way of innovation, and where the leadership potential of introverts is often overlooked. And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the surprising differences between extroverts and introverts.
I haven't got round to reading this book yet but it has been on my wish list for quite a while. I think it's a book you have to concentrate on so when I've finished my current books I'll have a read of this! 





No comments:

Post a Comment